So, the BBC recently released a list of the top 11 best children’s books of all time and needless to say, many people are extremely dissatisfied with the BBC’s choices. Personally, I LOVE the fact that the BBC went out on a ledge and chose “favorites” among an unending ocean of beautiful children’s literature. Why? Because one of the best parts of reading books is talking about them with others. As I browsed the social media sites, and read the offended comments from people who claimed that all of the books were “too old,” I noticed that each person decided to post their own lists of favorite books. You can imagine what happened next. People started reminiscing and connecting based on a mutual love for one beloved book or another.
Clearly choosing the top children’s books of all time is like making a list of the best people in history-it just isn’t possible. But what is possible, is that lists like these can unite readers as a community and get us thinking again about books that made an everlasting impact on our lives. So, for those who care, here is my OFFICIAL list of the best children’s books of all time-let the book debate begin!
10. Who Owns the Sun? by, Stacy Chbosky
9. Little Women by, Louisa May Alcott
8. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by, Grace Lin
7. Because of Winn Dixie by, Kate DiCamillo
6. The Hunger Games by, Suzanne Collins
5. The Secret Garden by, Frances Hodgson Burnett
4. Matilda by, Roald Dahl
3. The Giver by, Lois Lowry
2. The Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963 by, Christopher Paul Curtis
1. The Outsiders by, S.E. Hinton